Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Where are the beautiful people?

Travel and Leisure magazine has published their ratings of America's top 25 cities, and surprise, surprise, Miami is included (Des Moines, however, is not). And where does Miami come out on top? For the most attractive (#1) and stylish (#2) people, of course! I have to admit, on a day-to-day basis, the people I see are not taking my breath away. It led me to ponder...where are all the beautiful people?

One of my friends claims they all live in South Beach, which is certainly full of attractive-looking people. The same could be said for most of the city's more affluent hot spots where people go to be seen by other people: Miracle Mile in the Gables, the Grove, Lincoln Mall. Everyone goes there to watch people and to be seen. So we put on our best duds, do our make-up and hair, and hit the town. That's what most tourists see. Maybe that's why we are considered so beautiful. But I can guarantee you that driving home on I-95 in rush hour traffic, beauty is decidedly absent.

And there is a lot of wealth in Miami. So, does wealth make you more attractive? If you have the money to maintain your appearance (go to the salon for a stylish cut and colot, buy the fashionable, well-made clothes that fit well and flatter the body), you definitely have a head start. Do you have to look a little harder and longer to see the attractiveness in less affluent people (which there are plenty of as well in Miami)? I don't know if this is true, but the money and time spent on our appearances suggest a relationship between wealth and so-called "beauty".

What about the culture of Miami? Does it promote an obsession with appearance, and so do Miamians in general do a better job of maintaining their appearance? Probably. In Miami, appearance seems to be everything, and I admit I have started paying more attention to what I wear out now.

I dont' think there is anything inherently wrong with dressing well, and taking pride in how you look. The real problem with Miami culture seems to show up in the areas where Miami citizens ranked low: friendly (#21) and intelligent (#24). If we had beautiful people who were also friendly and intelligent, then we would have a place we could be proud of. The fact that we are missing the most important personality factors suggests a deep hole in the soul of the city.

On the up-side, Miami is a young city, and so may still need to grow up a bit to become a cultural, intellectual place. Time will tell...


I'd like to hear your take on beautiful people...leave a comment!

Before I sign out, since this blog is about a Midwesterner in Miami, let's look at the only midwestern included in the poll, Minneapolis. It ranked high in friendly (#3) and intelligent (#2), as well as in most quality of life and culture categories. I was in Minneapolis in August, and couldn't believe how nice everyone was. I love the city, and recommend it to everyone.

To pick your favorite city, visit Travel and Leisure's pick the favorite.

1 comment:

  1. I think that beautiful comes from within, and while a face or a physique may capture the eye, a generosity of the spirit and the quick offer of friendship can supersede these things. In which case I would agree that while the more expensive and monied parts of Miami certainly are flashy... they are also equally soulless and empty.

    When it comes to casual friendliness to total strangers, I'm voting for Portland, Oregon.

    ReplyDelete