Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Shibui Japanese...nice sushi

Shibui Japanese Restaurant
(305) 274-5578
7101 SW 102nd Ave
Just north of Sunset on 102nd Ave.

We have been to Shibui with my aunt and uncle several times now, and it is their favorite sushi place in Miami. The service is impeccable, friendly and helpful. The ambiance is also very nice: dimly lit with dark, rich wood paneling. Upstairs you can eat more traditionally, seated on cushions on the floor at low tables.

Some of the appetizers Shibui does are delicious. The seaweed salad is light and crunchi, slightly sour with a nice note of sesame. We get that every time we go, and it is one of my favorite parts of the meal. The tempura dipped sweet potatos are also good, very light, with an ethereal dipping sauce. The tempura is just right, a very thin crispy layer. The gyoza (dumplings) are good, about the same as dumplings you get anywhere else.

Shibui has a wide selection of rolls (about 40), and a good mix of cooked and raw fish selections, as well as some vegetarian options. Sushi rolls tend to be somewhat up to personal taste, but I will outline the rolls I have liked. I don't care for mayonaise (actually, I hate it), and most of the cooked fish rolls have a flavored mayonaise. But the mayonaise is very subtle, it's not overpowering at all. The Futo Maki is probably my favorite so far, with shrimp and mushrooms. Others that we like (accounting for all our individual tastes) are the JV roll, the Vegetable roll, and one with crawfish (I think it was called the Creole roll?).

Of course, I can't leave out dessert. Pretty standard desserts are offered: tempura fried cheesecake (a favorite of my aunt) and banana. And green tea and red bean ice cream, of course. I love to end the meal with a simple scoop of green tea ice cream, it really caps off all of the flavors of the meal.

If you want good sushi at a reasonable price (rolls are around $9), with great atmosphere and service, Shibui is a good option. I especially enjoy the appetizers, they shine just as much as the sushi itself.

No comments:

Post a Comment