Sunday, October 5, 2008

Miami Autumn

I think our bodies must have a long weather memory. Every time I step outside, I am expecting a Fall chill in the air, possible even a quick shiver. I feel like I should be seeing my breath when I go out in the morning. Like I should be knitting a scarf. Like it is time to unpack the winter sweaters (the few that I have left). It has something to do with the position of the sun, its rays aren't direct enough, and the days are too short for it to still be in the upper 80's. I've talked about this with other Midwesterners, and they all agree that something doesn't feel quite right.

Everyone in the city is waiting with bated breath for our "Fall" to come. A relief to the sweltering heat of the summer. But we have a little time to wait yet. Sure, the temperature isn't hitting 90 degrees anymore, and we won't average below 80 until the end of November, just in time for Thanksgiving. It has just cooled off enough to get us all excited.

Don't get me wrong, the winters here are delicious, but they are way too short. Every day is sunny and usually requires a light jacket. It's a great time to be in Miami. In fact, that's always when our visitors come.

We also miss out on fall foliage here, which leaves a big hole in my sense of time. That magic transition from every shade of green to the yellows, oranges and reds, warm colors that push against the falling temperatures. First you see a tree here and a tree there change, its leaves some vibrant, fiery color. Then the rest follow in a color explosion. It's the kind of thing that people travel hundreds of miles to see.

At least I am visiting Des Moines in a couple of weeks, and so will get to see a little fall color in Iowa.

Now begins my favorite time of year, beginning with Halloween and ending with the New Year. I am a sucker for the Holidays...

1 comment:

  1. If only one had time to enjoy them (the holidays, that is).

    ReplyDelete